Ultimate Peace is a remarkable organization that promotes conflict resolution, mutual respect and Spirit of the Game to youth through Ultimate camps and clinics. Ultimate Peace is entering its third year of summer camps in Israel and the West Bank which bring together Palestinians, Israeli Jews, and Arab Israelis for a week of Ultimate. Recently Ultimate Peace ran a successful clinic in Colombia that coincided with the Pan American Ultimate Championships.
In this episode of the SkydCast, I interview David Barkan, the CEO and co-founder of Ultimate Peace about how this wonderful program got started, what it accomplishes and its bright future (which includes an exciting event in 2013). I’ve included some information below about how you can support and get involved with Ultimate Peace.
- This year Israel will send 3 teams to Junior Worlds. For the first time ever, Arab youth will be part of each of the teams, all because of getting into Ultimate through UP. The girls team will be right around 50% Jewish and 50% Arab!
- Volunteer UP coaches have come from Revolver, Fury, Sockeye, Riot, Ironside, Chain Lightning, Brute Squad, Doublewide, and many more great teams.
- Donations of any kind are welcome, material or cash, as UP sends discs and gear to multiple sited around the world to catalyze new programs: www.ultimatepeace.org/donate
- UP now has premium gifts from Five Ultimate, Patagonia, and Breakmark for donors: www.ultimatepeace.org/donate
- Ideas, contributions, and suggestions are always welcome – please write us at email@example.com
Ultimate Peace Logo Contest:
Ultimate Peace needs a new logo! Have a huge impact on UP and our work and send us your vision for our organization. The winner will get hyped on our website, receive a gift basket of great quality shwag, and of course, have your artwork on thousands of discs, jerseys and more around the world. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1/20/12!
Video from Ultimate Peace’s recent Colombia Clinics:
Here’s a bit more about David Barkan:
David Barkan is co-founder and CEO of Ultimate Peace. His has been leading the small but mighty 501c3 non-profit organization with COO Linda Sidorsky since 2008. David and Linda work as volunteers for UP, as do virtually all coaches, assistants, and organizers. In his other life, David is a full-time strategic and organization development consultant, working with foundations and non-profits committed to social change – he currently works closely with institutions like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the State of Oregon. David played Ultimate competitively from 1978 – 1995 in the open division, forming many teams including The Hostages, East Bay Firestorm, and Double Happiness (later, in retirement, the Matza Balls). He retired after winning Club Worlds in 1995, and was inducted into the USAU Hall of Fame in 2010. He lives in the Bay Area with his wife and two sons.