*To my knowledge, has not yet committed to DIII.
Puget Sound – Somehow they escaped my initial search two weeks ago. However, they put up some solid results at Presidents Day Classic this last weekend. They didn’t pull off any huge upsets, but they beat some top 60 D1 teams in UBC and UCSD, and played close games against top 20 teams like Washington and Vermont (arguably). More importantly, they got some great experience playing many high level games in a row. This experience will be invaluable come DIII championships (if they choose to attend).
Carleton GoP – They are similar to Puget Sound in that they played and lost to a lot of DI Schools at Queen City Tune Up, but very different in that they lost most games by large margins. While GoP did lose to all DI schools, the best teams at DIII nationals should at least play it close with these DI teams.
What to Watch:
After two weeks, we should have a MUCH better idea of how things are shaping up. Tournaments to watch:
- GoP, RPI, Westmont and Puget Sound are all playing at Stanford Open this weekend.
- Truman State, Missouri S & T and North Park will be playing at Free State Classic this weekend.
- Davidson and Lehigh will be at Spring Ultimax / Irate Invite this weekend.
- Georgia College & State will be playing at Chucktown Throwdown this weekend.
- Grinnell, North Park, Truman State and Missouri S & T are all playing at Midwest Throwdown on March 3-4. This will likely be the most revealing tournament of this group.
- Claremont, Lewis & Clark and RPI will all be playing at Trouble in Vegas on March 3-4
- Rose-Hulman and St John’s will be unknowns for a few more weeks.