Last week we released an open letter to Steve Gordon requesting transparency from the AUDL, and we await their response. That letter was a follow up to the release of our organizer statement and a community-wide petition.
We have been inspired by the ongoing dialogue amongst members of the ultimate community in support of gender equity. We think sharing perspectives and genuine dialogue are the keys to positive change and progress.
With that in mind, we want to encourage and empower ultimate players and community members around the world to engage in the gender equity discussion as it pertains to their local ultimate community.
WHAT: International Gender Equity Personal Statement Week
WHEN: Tuesday, Jan. 9 – Mon. January 15
WHY/GOAL: To encourage more dialogue, especially on a local and regional level, around gender equity in ultimate.
WHAT TO DO: Craft a statement of your thoughts or beliefs, share publicly in whatever way makes the most sense to you. Seek to use your local context and perspective to respectfully engage in discussion and dialogue.
IDEAS FOR FORMAT:
Create a written statement, photo, video (whatever makes sense for you to express yourself, creativity encouraged!)
- Publish via your team’s social media, blog or website
- Personal twitter posts and online conversations
- Instagram and facebook videos + conversations
If you don’t have time to write a long message, engage in small chunks
- Engage others in online and offline discussion
- Post your thoughts, tag others you’d like to engage
- Collaborate with some friends, go back and forth on social media
- Reach out to your local AUDL owner, ask questions, have discussion
- Email your teammates or discuss things in person (ex. before or after pickup – chat about it over a meal)
POTENTIAL TOPICS FOR CONVERSATION:
- Challenges in your local community as it pertains to gender equity
- Relationships between you, local organizations, AUDL, etc.
- Actionable steps that can be taken in support of gender equity
HOW: Listen, be respectful, be open, don’t blame
HASHTAGS: #GEstatementweek #GenderEquityInUltimate, #GenderEquity